UPDATE: "Mailbox Bomber" gets 87 months in prison

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 2:58pm

TYLER — Larry Eugene North, 53, has been sentenced to 87 months imprisonment just before 3:00 Tuesday afternoon in Judge Leonard Davis' federal courtroom.

Officials with Judge John Love's court, where North earlier pleaded guilty to the crime of possession of an illegal firearm and use of a weapon of mass destruction.

North was also sentenced to 5 years supervision after his release from prison.


Larry Eugene North, 53, pleaded guilty to possession of an illegal firearm or destructive device, use of a weapon of mass destruction and obstruction of mail in Judge John Love's court.

North will be sentenced in Judge Leonard Davis' at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.


A man accused of placing more than 30 explosive devices into mailboxes and at other locations across East Texas might change his plea in federal court this morning.

Larry Gene North is scheduled to change his plea before Federal Judge John Love in Tyler Federal Court, 211 W. Ferguson St. at 10 a.m., according to U.S. Court Clerk Jan Adair.

The 53-year-old Henderson man will be making his first court appearance since April 8, 2010, when he was indicted on charges of possessing an illegal firearm or destructive device. Earlier that day, authorities arrested North as he was placing an explosive in a Tyler mailbox. North had been under surveillance for about a week before his arrest, and a pipe bomb was found in the van he was driving and bomb-making materials were discovered in his home, authorities said.

He could face 10 years in prison if convicted.

Authorities believe North was responsible for planting 36 devices between Feb. 5 and April 7, said Robert R. Champion, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Authorities previously said they had found at least 16 explosive devices, including five pipe bombs.

No injuries or explosions resulted from the devices. At least half were found in mailboxes — including a box on Judson Road near Bancorp South and at the Laird Hill post office — while others were in assorted locations such as the front yard of a business and a cemetery, officials said. The spate of discoveries kept people on edge for weeks in East Texas, a region recently hit by a series of church arsons.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment