Report: Teens getting drunk on hand sanitizer
UNDATED — A half dozen teenagers in Southern California had to be taken to emergency rooms in the past few months over hand sanitizer.
Public health officials say they had to be treated for alcohol poisoning after drinking the liquid.
Now, officials tell the LA Times, they're worried this could become a dangerous trend.
Liquid hand sanitizer is 62% ethyl alcohol and makes a 120 proof drink. And of course, it's very easy for teens to purchase.
Experts say parents should buy foam hand sanitizer because it's harder to distill the alcohol. They also say parents should monitor the sanitizer the way they would liquor or medicine.