(CNN) — A well-publicized estimate that Typhoon Haiyan killed10,000 people in the Philippines is "too much," and the death toll likely is closer to 2,000 or 2,500, Philippine President Benigno Aquino III told CNN's Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday.
"We're hoping to be able to contact something like 29 municipalities left wherein we still have to establish their numbers, especially for the missing, but so far 2,000, about 2,500, is the number we are working on as far as deaths are concerned," he said.
The monster storm left behind a catastrophic scene after it made landfall six times last Friday, leaving many without immediate access to food and medical care. At least 800,000 people have been displaced, the United Nations said Tuesday.
By Tuesday, Philippines officials said 1,774 bodies had been counted, and 2,487 others had been injured.
The previous estimate of 10,000 killed, Aquino said, came from local officials who perhaps were "too close" to the center of destruction to make an accurate guess.