Candle blamed for Longview fire

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:57am

From Longview Fire Department:

LONGVIEW, TX --- Shortly after midnight on Wednesday, Longview Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1002 Oden St. On arrival crews found a two story balloon framed structure (older structure with no built in fire stops) with about a quarter of the fire in the upstairs bed room. Fire crews were able to quickly advance fire attack hose lines to the area of origin and extinguish the fire in the bed room and the fire that had extended into the attic space. Fire was under control in about 10 minutes.

The female that resides in the bed room of the fire origin stated she had a candle burning in the window sill with the window open. The drapes made contact with the open flame resulting in the fire. The occupant had left the bedroom and was alerted by the sound of the smoke alarm. Once she returned to the room she found the drapes on fire which quickly engulfed the room. The remainder of the house sustained heavy smoke and heat spread.

All six adults escaped without injury.

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment